WHAT: What if everything your doctor has told you about breast cancer is wrong??Susan G. Komen San Diego (Komen San Diego) explores this provocative question among others at its 2nd annual dinner symposium, “Screens, Genes & The Choices We Make: A Conversation on Research, Treatment and Lifestyle.”
Guests will be treated to a farm-to-table dinner while leading experts will give talks on the cutting-edge of research and therapies for those affected by breast cancer. Attendees will also have the opportunity to tour San Diego’s first mobile mammography coach.
The symposium will feature the following leading experts and prominent medical professionals who will provide provocative talks on the latest breast cancer research, personalized medicine, genetic make-up, mammograms and lifestyle choices:
- Dr. Susan Love, Chief Visionary Officer, Dr. Susan Love Research Foundation
- Dr. Love has dedicated her professional life to the eradication of breast cancer. Her talk titled “Impatient Science” will translate complex scientific concepts into easily digestible information that will answer some of the most frequently asked questions about breast cancer.
- Dr. Sheila Patel, M.D., Medical Director, Chopra Center for Wellbeing and Mind Body Medical Group
- Dr. Patel, M.D. is a board-certified family physician who is passionate about bringing holistic healing practices into the Western medical system. Her talk, titled “The Science of Mindfulness,” will provide insight to guests on how practicing mindfulness can be utilized to maximize health, happiness and spiritual wellbeing.
- Dr. Steven Eisenberg, Medical Oncologist; Co-founder and Chief Medical Officer at Workup, Inc.
- Dr. Eisenburg will explain to guests the many tools and treatment options available that those affected by breast cancer may not be aware of with his talk, “Decisions and Further Tests,” and will give guests an opportunity to take the reigns of their breast cancer journey.
- Miguel Perez – Vice President, Affiliate Network at Susan G. Komen®
- Miguel Perez, Vice President, Affiliate network at Susan G. Komen®, will be moderating the event. Perez is responsible for Komen’s global network of Affiliates.
WHERE: Del Mar Marriott Hotel
11966 El Camino Real
San Diego, Calif. 92130
NOTE: Media parking in front of the hotel.
WHEN: Wed., March 23, 2016 from 5:30 p.m. to 8 p.m.
BEST TIME TO COVER: 5:30 p.m. to 7:30 p.m.
INTERVIEWS AND VISUALS:
- Leading experts giving engaging and provocative talks to guests regarding cutting-edge of breast cancer research, therapies and treatment.
- Guests and speakers taking a tour of Komen’s state-of-the-art mobile mammography coach.
- A massive guided meditation led by Dr. Sheila Patel, M.D., medical director, Chopra Center for Wellbeing and Mind Body Medical Group.
- Laura Farmer Sherman, president & CEO, Susan G. Komen San Diego, can discuss the importance of connecting the community with leading cancer experts and the organization’s impact on breast cancer in San Diego County.
- Dr. Susan Love, Dr. Sheila Patel, Dr. Steven Eisenber, and Miguel Perez can discuss why they decided to participate in the symposium and its importance.
WHY IS THIS IMPORTANT:
- We have come a long way in the fight on breast cancer. But there is still work to be done. In San Diego, six women a day are told the words “you have breast cancer” and unfortunately one woman a day passes away.
- Guest speakers at this event will share some of the latest and most important information regarding the diagnosis and treatment of this pressing health issue.
- An informed patient has the best chance of combatting breast cancer.
- We know if caught early enough, the most common type of breast cancer is 99 percent survivable.
- Komen San Diego is the County’s largest funder of free breast cancer services and support and is the only organization providing qualified women the free services they need for every step of the breast cancer journey.
- These services include free diagnostic mammograms, life-saving screenings, temporary financial aid for living expenses, meal deliveries, education, research and more.
- In fact, next to the U.S. government, Susan G. Komen® is the largest funder of breast cancer research in the world.