MEDIA EVENT ADVISORY – Wed., March 16 – DOWNTOWN SAN DIEGO
WHAT: Senior Community Centers celebrates Anna Arnold’s 100th birthday. A San Diego resident, Arnold volunteered seven days a week with Senior Community Centers for more than two decades until she was about 95 years old. Described as “the spirit of Senior Community Centers,” Arnold is still a current client and will celebrate her 100th birthday at the Gary and Mary West Senior Wellness Center with friends and family. Her only living relative, a nephew from the East Coast, will travel in to celebrate with her.
ABOUT ANNA: She was born in Brooklyn, New York on March 16, 1911 to Polish immigrants who came through Ellis Island. She and her husband were married for 55 years before he died in 1985. They settled in San Diego after doing military duty around the world. They never had children.
WHERE: Gary & Mary West Senior Wellness Center, 1525 4th Avenue, San Diego (92101). From Civic Engagement classes to partnerships with leading local universities and nonprofits, this is not your grandma’s senior center. The Gary and Mary West Senior Wellness Center is operated by Senior Community Centers, a non-profit organization in San Diego County.
WHEN: Wed., March 16 from 10:00 a.m. to 10:45 a.m.
WHY: Many of San Diego’s seniors do not have family members who live in the area. They rely on our services for their basic needs like food and shelter as well as for companionship. Senior Community Centers serves a vital link for seniors in need. Learn more at www.servingseniors.org.
INTERVIEWS & VISUALS:
• 10:15 a.m. – Anna Arnold’s entrance into the dining room at the West Wellness Center
• Birthday cake presentation with candles; hundreds of seniors singing Happy Birthday and both seniors and staff sharing stories about Anna and her service to the organization
• Special birthday message from Paul Downey, CEO, Senior Community Centers (Downey also advocates at the state and federal level for seniors right to age successfully in good health and with adequate resources)
• Anna Arnold’s nephew can speak to how Senior Community Centers helps his aunt
• Spanish language spokesperson and seniors available on-site for interview
MEDIA CONTACT: Scatena Daniels Communications (619) 232-0222.
Arika Daniels (949) 338-6672. Not for public broadcast.