WHAT: PETCO Park will open its gates to tens of thousands of screaming, giggling and determined fans this Saturday who are crazy for all things science. The nonprofit Biocom Institute Festival of Science & Engineering, San Diego’s EXPO Day will have more than 130 exhibits, activities, and performances from world-class STEM corporations, businesses, and educational institutions who call San Diego County their home. Guests will participate in hands-on learning activities and experiments designed to inspire students of all ages. San Diego’s premiere science festival is now in its ninth year, and is presented by the Illumina Foundation.
More than 24,000 students and their families are expected for a full day of science fun. Organizers from Biocom Institute aim to expand the general public’s understanding of the relevancy of science and engineering in everyday lives, and hope local students and families will find that spark that will inspire a path to a STEM career, and join the workforce right here in our region. Guests get to engage in activities that break down some of the most complex subjects into simpler ways of understanding.
WHEN: Saturday, March 4, 2017, 10 a.m. to 5 p.m.
BEST TIME TO COVER: Between 7 a.m. to 3 p.m. We can arrange for early morning TV live shots if needed.
WHERE: PETCO Park, 100 Park Blvd, San Diego, CA 92101 (Downtown San Diego)
COST: FREE ADMISSION
PARKING: Discount options available. Visit LoveSTEMSD.org for more info.
FOOD: Families can bring in a sack lunch. The same food restrictions apply as a Padres game. There will also be $6 meal deals for children.
WHY IS THIS IMPORTANT?
- Guests get to talk to some of the brightest minds at global companies and research institutions.
- According to a recent study via SanDiegoBusiness.org, San Diego ranks 2nd in the nation in concentration of workforce in science and engineering jobs with more than 63,000 professionals in these occupations.
- In the most recent Biocom report, life science companies are the largest employers with more than 51,000 jobs, which accounts for the single largest sector of tech jobs in San Diego.
- Between 2010 and 2015, science jobs in the area grew a stunning 26 percent, making San Diego one of the nation’s major destinations for people seeking science careers. Science jobs in San Diego have grown by almost 43 percent since 2001.
- A recent NerdWallet report found the annual mean wage for STEM jobs in San Diego County exceeds $86,000, and a recent San Diego Workforce Partnership report notes that the life sciences industry alone employs nearly 45,000 people and generates about $16 billion in annual sales revenue.
- Exhibitors include world-class institutions such as Illumina, Qualcomm, ViaSat, Hologic, Cubic, Cymer, Thermo Fisher Scientific, MilliporeSigma, and Sanford Burnham Prebys Medical Discovery Institute; PLUS San Diego favorites like the Fleet Science Center and the Children’s Discovery Museum.
- Sara Pagano, managing director, Biocom Festival of Science & Engineering
- Francis deSouza, President and CEO, Illumina, Inc.
Visuals and Anticipated EXPO Day Features/Highlights for 2017:
- Meet and Greet with Actors from the new “Power Rangers” Movie: It’s morphin’ time! Take your photo with actors Naomi Scott (“Pink Ranger”), Ludi Lin (“Black Ranger”), and Dacre Montgomery (“Red Ranger”) who star in the upcoming Lionsgate studios’ reboot of “Saban’s Power Rangers” which opens nationwide on March 24, 2017. The meet and greet runs from 2 p.m. to 4 p.m. on EXPO Day in PETCO Park’s Palm Court just inside the Gaslamp Gate.
- MilliporeSigma Curiosity Cube: Recognizing that tomorrow’s discoveries depend on the next generation of scientists—and that breakthroughs begin with curiosity—The Curiosity Cube™, hosted by MilliporeSigma is a 22×10-foot, retrofitted shipping container that has been transformed into a mobile science lab. Equipped with the latest technology, the Curiosity Cube™ provides a learning environment that allows visitors of all ages to become immersed in specific science topics—from learning about how DNA works to building their own, custom microbe using a 3D printer.
- Pre-K Zone: Inspire even the tiniest innovators to ignite their love for science! Presented by STEAM Maker Workshop and Children’s Discovery Museum, the Pre-K Zone will give children under 5 an opportunity to participate in STEAM-related activities. Visit the Pre-K Zone to excite your tiny future innovators. Let their imaginations run free, they just might change the world.
- TEDXKids@ElCajon Take the Stage: TEDXKids@El Cajon will join us for a second year for TEDX kids talks starting at 11 a.m. on the Dugout Stage. Hear some inventive ideas from some of tomorrow’s future movers and shakers. You’ll laugh, smile and be proud of the skills these students are learning in public speaking, and leadership. Organized by the Cajon Valley Union School District, these TEDX talks offer a unique platform for students to share their ideas. Connect with our future leaders and leave inspired.
- Bright Idea Society Alley – Powered By ViaSat, Inc.: No need to scour the map, our Bright Idea Society award winners will all be gathered together in their own row inside Park at the Park! The three winning schools include Torrey Hills Elementary School, San Pasqual Union Middle School, and Westview High School. Visit their activity booths and let these fascinating young minds, teach you about science!
- League of Extraordinary Scientists (LXS): Join some of the brightest minds in San Diego County at the Mercado area in PETCO Park. Have questions about Entymology, Nano Tech, Artifical Intelligence, Genomics, Oceanography, Science or Astronomy? Listen and engage with scientists from San Diego companies and organizations who are active in their industries at a Fireside Chat. Be sure to also stay for the LXS Science Tour, which offers hands on activities for scientists of all ages.
- Extra Credit Adventure: Teachers, encourage your students to explore STEM by rewarding extra credit for attending EXPO Say! Download the EXPO Day Extra Credit worksheet in advance or stop by the booth presented by UCSD Begs Outreach located near the Fireside Chats in the Mercado area.
- EXPO Day 2017 Stage Performances: Everyone’s favorite math rappers – The Music Notes – return to EXPO Day this year. Through rhythm and rhyme they break down math concepts from simple addition to advanced algebra. Fleet Science Center, General Atomics, and Mad Science captivate audiences with explosive STEM fun. The experts at Ecovivarium give guests an up close and personal experience to reptiles who call Southern California home. Additional acts will be added as EXPO Day approaches.