WHAT: Serving Seniors, a local nonprofit dedicated to helping seniors in poverty live healthy and fulfilling lives, will serve its 12 millionth meal with the help of San Diego County Supervisor Ron Roberts.
WHY: Did you know that 2 in 5 San Diego seniors have to choose between rent and food? The average income of the seniors the organization serves is only about $950 per month. The agency works with these seniors who often must choose between medication and their next meal to eliminate this barrier.
For nearly 50 years, Serving Seniors has been transforming the aging experience for low-income seniors in San Diego with our highly successful and innovative programs that help seniors live independently for as long as possible. The organization’s innovative approach to providing wrap-around services, including nutritious meals, health education, social services, case management, affordable supportive housing and lifelong learning opportunities has earned national recognition as a model for keeping seniors healthy and independent. Every year, Serving Seniors provides nearly 600,000 meals to seniors at nine congregate dining sites across the county, delivers two meals daily to more than 500 homebound seniors, and houses nearly 500 seniors. About 5,000 San Diego seniors look to Serving Seniors annually for support.
WHERE: Serving Seniors, 1525 4th Avenue, San Diego (92101)
(Downtown San Diego, corner of 4th Ave. and Beech Street)
EXPECTED ATTENDANCE: Approximately 175 seniors
WHEN: Wednesday Aug. 22 from 10:30 a.m. to 11:15 a.m. 12 millionth meal to be served around 10:45 a.m.
MORE INFORMATION AND TO MAKE A DONATION: www.servingseniors.org
INTERVIEWS & VISUALS:
- Serving Seniors’ state-of-the-art senior center, where thousands of meals each week are provided to San Diego low-income seniors.
- Over 175 seniors will be in attendance to celebrate the 12 millionth meal milestone.
- San Diego County Supervisor Ron Roberts will speak to the wellness model of Serving Seniors that is recognized regionally and nationally.
- Paul Downey, president and CEO of Serving Seniors, can speak to the mission of the organization that has helped low-income seniors stay healthy and independent for nearly 50 years.
- We also have a fluent Spanish-speaking senior client available for interview.