SAN DIEGO (Dec. 18, 2014) – More than 30 hospitals regularly rely on the San Diego Blood Bank every day. But during the holidays, their need is much higher and the blood supply is much lower. Blood donations often decrease with the hustle and bustle of the holiday season.
This December, the team at the San Diego Blood Bank is asking the public to give blood to help keep blood supplies at their safe capacities this holiday season. Their goal is to collect nearly 10,000 units this month alone. “The ultimate gift anyone can give is a blood donation to help trauma victims as well as patients who must continue transfusions for blood disorders and cancer treatments,” says David Wellis, CEO, San Diego Blood Bank. Just one unit of blood can save up to three lives.
It’s easy to find a location to donate blood in San Diego County. With the swipe of a few buttons on your smartphone, you can find one of six San Diego Blood Bank Donor Centers as well as any location of a blood mobile that day or in the near future via the San Diego Blood Bank’s mobile website, www.mysdbb.org. It is also easy to make an appointment via the mobile site as well.
Select San Diego County Credit Union locations will host blood mobiles on Wednesday, Dec. 31 from 8:30 a.m. to 1:30 p.m., underscoring the need for donations to help residents in need. These locations are:
- Vista: 1475 West Vista Way
- El Cajon: 312 West Main Street
- Santee: 286 Town Center Parkway
- Encinitas: 501 North El Camino Real
- Temecula: 31693 Temecula Parkway
- San Diego Blood Bank Gateway Donor Center, 3636 Gateway Center Avenue, Suite 100 (92102)
- East County Donor Center, 776 Arnele Avenue, El Cajon (92020)
- North County Donor Center, 358 West El Norte Parkway, Suite J, Escondido (92026)
- North Coastal Donor Center, 161 Thunder Drive, Vista (92083)
- Sabre Springs Donor Center, 12640 Sabre Springs Parkway, Suite 109 (92128)
- Carmel Valley Donor Center (in the Piazza Carmel Shopping Center), 3880 Valley Center Drive, Suite 209 & 210 (92130)