WHAT: The San Diego Financial Literacy Center (SDFLC) will host a free, interactive lunch and learn event to help San Diegans Enhance their Financial IQ. Event attendees will be able to network and learn about taxes and the Affordable Care Act through an informative workshop led by Kevin Garrett, president of Southern California Business Unit – CBIZ. The event will culminate with a special presentation of the organization’s Boost For Our Heroes award. The Boost For Our Heroes program provides one deserving military consentient each quarter with a $3,000 “boost” to help them in times of financial hardship. Please see details on the Boost awardees below under the Visual/Spokesperson section.
WHEN: Friday, March 27th – 11:45 a.m. to 1:00 p.m.
BEST TIME TO COVER: 12:30 p.m. – Boost For Our Heroes check presentation
WHERE: National University at 9388 Lightwave Ave., San Diego, Calif. 92123
The event will be held in Room 118
WHY THIS IS IMPORTANT: The mission of the San Diego Financial Literacy Center is to educate and empower individuals and families to make sound financial decisions and develop positive, personal finance habits for life. Boost For Our Heroes, one of the three core programs of the organization, provides financial assistance and education designed to directly benefit military members and their families. This program is geared towards active duty, transitioning and veteran military members. Each quarter, an impartial panel selects one constituent who will be awarded a $3,000 stipend due to a financial hardship(s).
VISUALS AND SPOKESPERSONS:
- Brad Pagano, co-founder and managing director, SDFLC
- Kevin Garrett, president, Southern California Business Unit – CBIZ, speaking on the topic of “Taxes and the Affordable Care Act: How They Affect You and Your Business”
- Boost For Our Heroes oversize check presentation
- Boost For Our Heroes awardee Danielle Schneider. Schneider and her husband are currently serving in the United States Navy. The couple has been challenged with massive amounts of debt including not one but two broken down cars, a stack of unpaid bills, maxed out credit cards plus a baby on the way. She plans on using the stipend to pay their bills, rent an apartment and purchase items for the newest addition to their family. Her ultimate goal is to be completely out of debt so they can start saving money and plan for their future.
- Event attendees networking and taking part in the interactive lunch and learn event
- We will have a Spanish speaking spokesperson, Felipe Arevalo, community outreach coordinator, SDFLC
About San Diego Financial Literacy Center
Founded in 2014, the San Diego Financial Literacy Center (SDFLC) is a 501(c)(3), nonprofit, which provides education and empowerment tools to San Diegans to Enhance their Financial IQ and to help them make smarter decisions with their money. The San Diego Financial Literacy Center (SDFLC) is the go-to organization for financial literacy and education. The SDFLC serves three main demographics: military, youth, and low-to-moderate income families through three core programs: Boost For Our Heroes, Wave of The Future, and Smart With Your Money. They provide services across three key areas: financial literacy, debt management, and credit counseling. The services are available at no cost. For more information, to volunteer or donate, visit www.sdflc.org or call (858) 810-7007. Connect with us on Facebook or Twitter.