Preparations for the meal service include a traditional Thanksgiving meal served on fine china, linens and centerpieces for the tables, as well as holiday music and entertainment.
WHERE: Serving Seniors, 1525 4th Avenue, San Diego (92101).
EXPECTED ATTENDANCE: Approximately 300 seniors
WHEN: Thursday, Nov. 26 from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. (Best time to cover).
WHY: Did you know that 2 in 5 San Diego seniors have to choose between rent and food? Celebrating 45 years, Serving Seniors uses innovative solutions that have helped San Diego seniors struggling with poverty and hunger, keeping them independent. Healthy seniors remain independent. Independent seniors are able to enjoy life, spend less time in the hospital and often don’t need long term care. With ongoing state and federal budget cuts, Serving Seniors bridges this growing financial gap for seniors and provides a safety net for seniors, who otherwise would have nowhere to turn. On Nov. 9, Serving Seniors delivered its 10 millionth meal.
MORE INFORMATION OR TO DONATE: http://www.servingseniors.org
INTERVIEWS & VISUALS:
- Hundreds of seniors enjoying the company of friends while receiving a nutritious Thanksgiving meal in a state-of-the-art community center designed for the needs of seniors.
- Volunteers serving meals, coffee and desserts.
- Seniors sharing stories about the impact Serving Seniors has in their lives and how a meal with good friends helps to combat the holiday blues.
- Volunteers represent a mix of families, service organizations and Serving Seniors board members can speak about why they volunteer, and the need to help throughout the year.
- Paul Downey, CEO of Serving Seniors, can speak to the need of supporting seniors over the holidays.