WHAT: Staff and volunteers of Serving Seniors will serve Thanksgiving meals full of holiday cheer to low-income San Diego seniors, who often celebrate the holidays without family. Volunteers will serve hundreds of seniors their meals and visit with them on a day that can be lonely for many.
Preparations for the meal service include a traditional Thanksgiving meal served on fine china, linens and centerpieces for the tables, and as holiday music.
WHERE: Serving Seniors, 1525 4th Avenue, San Diego (92101).
EXPECTED ATTENDANCE: Approximately 300 seniors
WHEN: Thursday, Nov. 24 from 11:15 a.m. to 1 p.m. (Best time to cover).
WHY: Did you know that 2 in 5 San Diego seniors have to choose between rent and food?
Since 1970, Serving Seniors has been dedicated to helping seniors struggling with poverty and hunger. The number of food insecure seniors is at critical levels in San Diego and loneliness and isolation can have serious consequences for seniors’ physical and mental health. Good nutrition is integral to reducing the overall cost of healthcare. Serving Seniors is safety net for older adults, serving nearly 600,000 meals annually and providing supportive services that keep seniors healthy and independent.
MORE INFORMATION OR TO DONATE: www.servingseniors.org
INTERVIEWS & VISUALS:
- Hundreds of seniors enjoying the company of friends while receiving a nutritious Thanksgiving meal in a state-of-the-art community center designed for the needs of seniors.
- Volunteers serving meals, coffee and desserts.
- Seniors sharing stories about the impact Serving Seniors has in their lives and how a meal with good friends helps to combat the holiday blues.
- Volunteers representing a mix of families, service organizations and Serving Seniors board members can speak about why they volunteer, and the need to help throughout the year.
- Paul Downey, CEO of Serving Seniors, can speak to the need of supporting seniors over the holidays.