WHERE: Serving Seniors, 1525 4th Avenue, San Diego (92101).
EXPECTED ATTENDANCE: Approximately 300 seniors
WHEN: Friday, Dec. 25 from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. (Best time to cover).
WHY: Did you know that 2 in 5 San Diego seniors have to choose between rent and food? Celebrating 45 years, Serving Seniors uses innovative solutions that have helped San Diego seniors struggling with poverty and hunger, keeping them independent. Healthy seniors remain independent. Independent seniors are able to enjoy life, spend less time in the hospital and often don’t need long term care. With ongoing state and federal budget cuts, Serving Seniors bridges this growing financial gap for seniors and provides a safety net for seniors, who otherwise would have nowhere to turn. On Nov. 9, Serving Seniors delivered its 10 millionth meal.
MORE INFORMATION AND TO MAKE A DONATION: http://www.servingseniors.org
INTERVIEWS & VISUALS:
- Hundreds of low-income and homeless seniors enjoying a nutritious holiday meal with the company of friends.
- Volunteers serving meals, drinks, and dessert.
- Holiday decorations and a festive Christmas tree featured in a state of the art community center designed for the needs of seniors.
- Seniors sharing their stories about the impact Serving Seniors makes in their lives and how a meal with good friends helps to combat the holiday blues.
- Volunteers can speak about the importance of volunteering and why they help.
- Serving Seniors’ Kathy Parker can speak to the need of supporting seniors over the holidays.