WHAT: Serving Seniors (formerly Senior Community Centers) hosts their annual “Senior Idol” contest at their state-of-the-art community center. The program features local seniors who will sing, dance, perform comedy and live music. A panel of judges will evaluate the performances. First prize will receive $100. All participants will receive a gift bag.
WHEN: Friday, Aug. 15, 2014. 2 p.m. to 3:30 p.m.
WHERE: Serving Seniors (formerly Senior Community Centers), Gary & Mary West Senior Wellness Center, 1525 4th Avenue, San Diego, Calif. 92101 (This is in Downtown San Diego, corner of 4th Avenue and Beech Street.)
EXPECTED ATTENDANCE: Approximately 150 seniors
WHY: Since 1970, Serving Seniors’ (formerly known as Senior Community Centers) innovative solutions have helped San Diego seniors struggling with poverty and hunger. The organization provides 550,000 meals each year to their clients, as well as delivers “wrap-around” wellness services, to take care of senior health, mental health, advocacy, and housing needs. Programs and events like “Senior Idol” provide creative opportunities for seniors to stay active, engaged, and motivated. The safety net of services keeps seniors out of emergency rooms, reduces hospitals days and delays and/or eliminates the need for long-term care.
MORE INFORMATION OR TO DONATE: www.servingseniors.org
INTERVIEWS & VISUALS:
- Best time to cover is between 2 p.m. and 3 p.m.
- Local seniors singing, dancing, telling jokes, and performing live music.
- Paul Downey, CEO and president, Serving Seniors is available to speak to the need for continued support of wrap-around programs for poverty-stricken seniors. He is the immediate past-president of the National Association of Nutrition and Aging Services Programs (NANASP) and is a commissioner for the California Commission on Aging.
- New and longtime senior clients sharing stories about the impact Serving Seniors has in their lives.
- Approximately 100-150 seniors enjoying the company of friends at the state of the art community center designed for the needs of seniors.
- We will also have a spokesperson available fluent in Spanish.