WHAT: Chargers Drive XXXVI is one of the longest running community events of the year. The public’s help is needed to donate blood to save lives. Attendees can meet Chargers players, enjoy entertainment and take advantage of free bone marrow registry testing. Since 1979, Chargers Drive has collected more than 73,000 pints of blood and helped 219,000 patients.
GOAL THIS YEAR: To collect 1,200 units. One unit can save up to three lives.
NEW THIS YEAR:
- Expanded Wellness Zone featuring interactive exhibits and activities, food sampling and more.
- Entertainment by INDI.com featuring Pip, finalist from The Voice, and nationwide Original Song Challenge Winner
- A special walk-through exhibit of the human heart, which is the most critical organ for blood flow
- Learn how a blood sample can be utilized for clinical research into the treatment of disease.
- VIP Meet & Greet Reception featuring Rolf Benirschke, Hank Bauer, Charlie Joiner, Louie Kelcher, Jim Laslavic, and San Diego Blood Bank CEO David Wellis. Panel discussion how the Chargers Drive was established, and relive the days as Benirschke’s teammates when he was struck with ulcerative colitis early in his Chargers career. The place kicker nearly died after two surgeries in eight days in November 1979 but surprised everyone by returning the next season to continue his record-setting career for seven more years. There is a separate admission fee for the VIP Meet & Greet Reception which begins at 6 p.m.
WHERE: TOWN & COUNTRY RESORT AND CONVENTION CENTER IN MISSION VALLEY. 500 Hotel Circle North, San Diego, CA 92108.
WHEN: TUESDAY, NOV. 25, 2014
BEST TIME TO COVER / VISUALS:
- 9 a.m. and 5 p.m. – Blood donations in progress; Health screenings; Bone Marrow Registry testing; Blood typing for the first 500 people; Chargers Players meet and greet with donors and guests; Life-size inflatable heart access.
- 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. – Entertainment Zone open.
- 4:45 p.m. – San Diego County Honda Dealers Car Giveaway.
- 5 p.m. – Chargers Girls perform.
- 5:15 p.m. – Pip, finalist on The Voice, performs.
- 6 p.m. – VIP Meet & Greet Reception
WHEN MEDIA ARRIVES ON-SITE: Please go to the Media Check-in Room to get your special wristband so you have access to all areas.
MEDIA PARKING: Please park on property. You will receive a parking validation.
IF YOU PLAN TO GO LIVE BETWEEN 10 A.M. AND 6 P.M. PLEASE CALL/TEXT DENISE SCATENA AT 619-218-4889 TO RECEIVE PRECISE INSTRUCTIONS ON WHERE TO PARK YOUR LIVE TRUCK.
- David Wellis, Ph.D., CEO, San Diego Blood Bank.
- Rolf Benirschke (as schedule allows).
- Current and former Chargers Players (as schedule allows).
- Current and former blood recipients.
- Blood donors and volunteers.
- Spanish speaking spokesperson available upon request.
- Admission for Chargers Drive XXXVI is just $5 for adults, $1 for children ages 3 to 12 years. Children age 2 and under are free. Proceeds helping pay for a new bloodmobile. Blood donors may request a refund of their admission price after they donate. Blood donors will also receive parking validation.
- Admission to the VIP Meet & Greet is $250 per person, and limited to 100 guests. Proceeds from the VIP Meet and Greet benefit the San Diego Blood Bank’s general programs and services, such as the expansion of their fleet of bloodmobiles. To purchase tickets, call the San Diego Blood Bank at 619-296-6393.
EVENT CALENDAR LISTING:
- Chargers Drive XXXVI for Health and Wellness
- Presented by San Diego County Credit Union
- Tuesday, Nov. 25, 2014
- 9 a.m. to 6 p.m.
- Blood donation begins at 9 a.m.
- Wellness Zone and Entertainment begins at 10 a.m.
- More info: www.sandiegobloodbank.org
- Phone number for the public: 619-296-6393
- Hashtag: #ChargersDrive2014
- Twitter: @SDBloodBank
- Facebook: http://tinyurl.com/oxone4y