WHEN: Saturday, Nov. 14 from 9:30 to 11 a.m. – THIS IS THE BEST TIME TO COVER.
ABOUT THE PIE SALE: The pie sale runs through Nov. 22, and pie flavors are traditional apple, pumpkin, Dutch apple and pecan and available for $25 each ($15 is tax deductible). Pies can be purchased online at www.mamaspies.org or by calling (619) 233-MAMA (6262). Each pie sold provides more than seven home-delivered meals to a neighbor struggling with a critical illness. The public is encouraged to pre-order their pies and not wait until the last minute.
WHY: For over 25 years, Mama’s Kitchen has prepared and delivered free nutritious home-cooked meals for everyday of the year throughout San Diego County to men, women and children affected by AIDS or cancer. Mama’s Kitchen hopes to raise $108,000 to fund more than 32,000 meals. Each pie sold provides more than seven home-delivered meals to a neighbor struggling with a critical illness such as cancer or HIV/AIDS.
WHERE: Mama’s Kitchen at 3960 Home Ave., in the Fairmount Park/City Heights neighborhood of San Diego (corner of Beech Street and Home Avenue).
INTERVIEWS / VISUALS:
- Anne Garger, executive chef, Mama’s Kitchen.
- Interviews with pie sellers, volunteers and family members and other guests.
- Volunteers folding and labeling pie 4,000 pie boxes.
- Volunteers loading pie boxes into their cars and driving them to local chefs and bakers.
- Volunteers who can speak to why they support Pie in the Sky and Mama’s Kitchen.