WHAT: Hundreds of community members are expected to attend the 20th annual Tree of Life Tree Lighting Ceremony hosted by Mama’s Kitchen. Attendees will enjoy holiday tunes from The San Diego Gay Men’s Chorus and complimentary refreshments provided by Kona Coffee. More than 200 people are expected to attend.
The theme of World AIDS Day 2011 is “Getting to Zero,” which is backed by the United Nations and focuses on zero new HIV infections, zero discrimination and zero AIDS related deaths. World AIDS Day reminds people that HIV has not gone away, and that there are many things still to be done.
WHERE: Village Hillcrest Retail Center, 3995 Fifth Avenue, San Diego (92103)
WHEN: Thurs., Dec. 1, 2011 – 6 p.m.
COST: The event is free and open to the public.
WHY: The event is San Diego County’s premiere event to commemorate World AIDS Day and honors those affected by AIDS and recognizes ongoing leadership efforts made to end the worldwide epidemic. It is also a fundraiser for Mama’s Kitchen, San Diego’s only county-wide meal delivery service for men, women and children affected by AIDS or cancer.
VISUALS & INTERVIEWS:
- Trees decorated with ornaments that honor those who have been affected by AIDS. Ornament sales benefit Mama’s Kitchen.
- AIDS Quilt panels.
- Hundreds of candles lit throughout the event to remember those who have lost their lives to AIDS.
- Attendees encouraged to bring non-perishable food donations for the Mama’s Pantry program.
- Holiday tunes provided by members of the Gay Mens’ Chorus of San Diego
- Alberto Cortes, executive director, Mama’s Kitchen – he speaks English and Spanish
- San Diego area elected officials and community leaders including Senator Christine Kehoe, Assemblymember Marty Block, Councilmember Todd Gloria, Councilmember Marti Emerald and Supervisor Ron Roberts.
For more information about Tree of Life or to participate in holiday giving opportunities, please call (619) 233-6262 or visit www.mamaskitchen.org.
– See more at: https://scatenadaniels.com/mamas-kitchen-hosts-premiere-world-aids-day-event-in-hillcrest/#sthash.7Naq1fXx.dpuf