WHAT: Mama’s Kitchen will host a kick-off party for volunteers to launch the eighth annual Mama’s Pie in the Sky Thanksgiving Bake Sale. These volunteers are selling pies as individuals and teams.
While last year was the largest and most successful bake sale to date, the organization hopes to surpass last year’s figures by setting a goal to sell more than 6,000 pies during the six-week sales period, which will raise $125,000 and fund nearly 40,000 meals.
ABOUT THE PIE SALE: The pie sale runs through Nov. 18, and offers fresh pumpkin, pecan, apple and no-sugar added apple pies for just $20 each ($15 is tax deductible). Pies can be purchased online at www.mamaspies.org or by calling (619) 233-MAMA (6262). Each pie sold provides more than six home-delivered meals to a neighbor struggling with a critical illness.
WHY: Mama’s Kitchen is the ONLY organization that prepares and delivers free nutritious home-cooked meals for everyday of the year throughout San Diego County to men, women and children affected by AIDS or cancer.
For information on how to get involved and volunteer to sell pies, visit www.mamaspies.org.
WHERE: Mama’s Kitchen at 3960 Home Ave., in the Fairmount Park/City Heights neighborhood of San Diego. Corner of Beech St. and Home Ave.
WHEN: Tues., Oct. 9 from 5 to 7 p.m.
INTERVIEWS / VISUALS:
- Alberto Cortés, executive director, Mama’s Kitchen. He is fluent in English and Spanish.
- Can interview pie sellers, volunteers and family members and other guests.
- Event is family friendly, can show families participate in basketball shooting, apple stacking and other games, and enjoying food and drinks.
- Mama’s Kitchen supporters and pie teams participating wearing festive pie hats, interacting with guests and enjoying some of the delicious pies they will help sell.
- There will be beautiful stylized portraits of clients and volunteers and colorful murals on the walls showing who the proceeds help.
- Attendees taking photos, volunteers holding sandwich boards and other props for their online sales and Facebook pages. Social media promotion is key in pie sales for many volunteers.
TWITTER HASHTAG: #MKPies2012
ON-SITE MEDIA CONTACT: Denise Scatena (619) 218-4889