WHAT: Susan G. Komen San Diego (Komen San Diego) will be having a FREE mammogram event hosted at a Northgate González Market location on Friday, Oct. 21 from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m.
In partnership with Northgate González Markets, San Ysidro Health Center, Community Health Imaging Centers and Every Woman Counts, Komen San Diego will provide qualified women free breast exams and mammograms. In San Diego, six women a day are told the words “you have breast cancer” and unfortunately one woman a day passes away. Komen San Diego continues to be the County’s largest funder of free breast cancer services and support and is the only organization providing qualified women the free services they need for every step of the breast cancer journey.
To qualify for a free screening at this event you must be:
- Uninsured or underinsured
- 40 years+ of age or under 40 years old experiencing symptoms
- Have not had a mammogram in the past year
For more information or to receive an appointment, please call 619-269-1299. If you cannot make it this day, please call 2-1-1 to speak to a breast health specialist about setting up another appointment.
WHERE: Northgate González Markets
5403 University Ave., San Diego, Calif. 92105
WHEN: Friday, Oct. 21 from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m.
Cost: FREE to qualified women
For further information and to inquire about qualifying, please call
For more information on where you can get mammograms, visit www.komensandiego.org.
BEST TIME TO COVER: 9:30 a.m. to 1:30 p.m.
INTERVIEWS AND VISUALS:
- Members of the community waiting in line to receive free screenings.
- Susan G. Komen San Diego’s state-of-the-art Mobile Mammogram Bus. We will have spokespersons who can speak to the technology.
- Lizzie Wittig, Susan G. Komen San Diego is available to speak about the importance of mammograms as well as the organization’s impact on breast cancer in San Diego County.
- Robert Ascencio, Miriam Rameno and Teresa Blanco, Northgate González Markets are available to speak about the event and their partnership with Komen San Diego.
- Maria C. Sanchez, San Ysidro Health Center, is available to speak about the importance of mammograms locally.
- Compelling interviews with volunteers who have seen first-hand the impact of the organization.
- We will have Spanish spokespersons available.
WHY IS THIS IMPORTANT:
- In San Diego, six women a day are diagnosed with breast cancer and unfortunately one woman a day passes away from this disease. And that’s what our work at Susan G. Komen San Diego is all about.
- However we know if discovered early enough, the most common type of breast cancer has a nearly 99% survival rate.
- Komen San Diego continues to be the County’s largest funder of free breast cancer services and support and is the only organization providing qualified women the free services they need for every step of the breast cancer journey.
- These services include free diagnostic mammograms, life-saving screenings, temporary financial aid for living expenses, transportation, meal deliveries, education and more.
- Also, next to the U.S. government, Susan G. Komen is the largest funder of breast cancer research in the world. And much of that investment has been awarded right here in San Diego.