WHAT: Mama’s Kitchen volunteers will be busy assembling, folding, and labeling thousands of pie boxes for the annual Mama’s Pie in the Sky Thanksgiving Bake Sale. The boxes will then be delivered to local bakers who are donating their time to bake pies that are in turn sold by hundreds of volunteers to benefit Mama’s Kitchen.
ABOUT THE PIE SALE: The pie sale runs through Nov. 18, and offers fresh pumpkin, pecan, apple and no-sugar added apple pies for just $20 each ($15 is tax deductible). Pies can be purchased online at www.mamaspies.org or by calling (619) 233-MAMA (6262). Each pie sold provides more than six home-delivered meals to a neighbor struggling with a critical illness. The public is encouraged to pre-order their pies, and not wait until the last minute.
WHY: Mama’s Kitchen is the ONLY organization that prepares and delivers free nutritious home-cooked meals for everyday of the year throughout San Diego County to men, women and children affected by AIDS or cancer.
The organization hopes to sell more than 6,000 pies during the six-week sales period, which will raise $125,000 and fund nearly 40,000 meals.
WHERE: Mama’s Kitchen at 3960 Home Ave., in the Fairmount Park/City Heights neighborhood of San Diego. Corner of Beech St. and Home Ave.
WHEN: Sat., Nov. 10 from 9:30 a.m. to 11 a.m. This is the best time to cover.
INTERVIEWS / VISUALS:
- Anne Garger, executive chef, Mama’s Kitchen.
- Interview pie sellers, volunteers and family members and other guests.
- Various flavors of pies being offered for sale.
- Volunteers folding and labeling pie more than 6,000 pie boxes.
- Volunteers loading pie boxes into their cars and driving them to local chefs and bakers.
- Volunteers who can speak to why they support the Thanksgiving bake sale.
TWITTER HASHTAG: #MKPies2012