WHAT: Today, hundreds of volunteers prepare for the delivery of thousands of pies purchased by generous San Diegans to support the home-delivered meal program at Mama’s Kitchen. “Mama’s Pie in the Sky” Thanksgiving Bake Sale is the largest on the West Coast.
We invite the media to take a peek behind-the-scenes to see the volunteers and staff in action to ensure the most perfect pies arrive on time and at the designated location chosen by the pie buyers.
Wednesday, Nov. 23 – 7 a.m. to 9 a.m. – Pie Distribution. Thousands of traditional holiday pies moved within TWO HOURS! Using their own vehicles, volunteers transport thousands of pies to more than 20 convenient Wells Fargo locations throughout San Diego County. (We can accommodate TV morning news live trucks and reporters.)
LOCATION: Mama’s Kitchen at 3960 Home Ave., in the Fairmount Park/City Heights neighborhood of San Diego (corner of Beech Street and Home Avenue).
INTERVIEWS / VISUALS:
- Alberto Cortés, executive director, Mama’s Kitchen. He is fluent in English and Spanish.
- Anne Garger, executive chef, Mama’s Kitchen.
- Thousands of pecan, pumpkin, apple and Dutch apple pies that have been delivered to Mama’s Kitchen from top chefs and bakers in San Diego County. See complete list of bakers at www.mamaspies.org.
- Dozens of volunteers sorting pies for delivery.
- Volunteers loading pie boxes into their cars and transporting them to distribution sites.
- Volunteers can speak to why they support the Pie in the Sky and Mama’s Kitchen.
Wednesday, Nov. 23 – 10 a.m. to noon – Pie Pick Up Sites. Pies are available for pick up at over 21 sites around San Diego County, including 20 Wells Fargo bank sites.
LOCATION: Wells Fargo, 510 W. Washington St., San Diego, CA 92103
INTERVIEWS / VISUALS:
- Mama’s Kitchen representative.
- Wells Fargo representative.
- Wells Fargo staff organizing and handing out pies to pie buyers.
- Pie buyers can speak to why they support the Pie in the Sky and Mama’s Kitchen.
Perfect for last-minute pie buyers: A limited amount of pies will be available for purchase on Wednesday, Nov. 23 between 10 a.m. and 6 p.m. at Mama’s Kitchen. Pumpkin, traditional apple pie, Dutch apple and pecan pies are available for $25 each ($15 is tax deductible). Call (619) 233-MAMA (6262). Each pie sold provides more than seven home-delivered meals to a neighbor struggling with a critical illness.
WHY: For over 26 years, Mama’s Kitchen has prepared and delivered free nutritious home-cooked meals for everyday of the year throughout San Diego County to men, women and children affected by AIDS or cancer. Mama’s Kitchen hopes to raise $100,000 to fund more than 32,000 meals. Each pie sold provides more than seven home-delivered meals to a neighbor struggling with a critical illness such as cancer or HIV/AIDS.
EVENT HASHTAG: #MamasPies2016