WHAT: Susan G. Komen San Diego (Komen San Diego) in partnership with Northgate Gonzalez Markets will hold a FREE community mammogram event hosted at the Northgate Gonzalez Markets location on University Avenue on Friday, May 19, from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m.
Along with Northgate Gonzalez Markets, Komen San Diego will provide qualified women free breast exams and mammograms. In San Diego, six women a day are told the words “you have breast cancer” and unfortunately one woman a day passes away. Komen San Diego is the County’s largest funder of free breast cancer services and support, and is the only organization providing qualified women the free services they need for every step of the breast cancer journey.
Screening will be provided by Every Woman Counts or Komen San Diego funding.
To qualify for a mammogram you must be uninsured, underinsured or low-income. Additionally women who are over 40 years of age and had their last mammogram at least one full year ago (365 days ago or longer), or those who are under 40 years of age and are experiencing symptoms also qualify.
To pre-register and to inquire about qualifying, please call (619) 269-1299 and reference the Northgate Markets University mammogram event.
WHERE: Northgate Gonzalez Markets
5403 University Avenue, San Diego, Calif. 92105
WHEN: Friday, May 19 from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m.
BEST TIME TO COVER: 9:30 a.m. to 2:30 p.m.
INTERVIEWS AND VISUALS:
- Members of the community waiting in line to receive free screenings.
- Komen San Diego’s state-of-the-art Mobile Mammogram Bus.
- Komen San Diego’s Director of Public Policy & Grants Lizzie Wittig will be available to speak about the importance of mammograms as well as the organization’s impact on breast cancer in San Diego County.
- We will have a Spanish spokesperson available.
WHY THIS IS IMPORTANT:
- We have come a long way in the fight on breast cancer. But there is still work to be done. In San Diego, six women a day are told the words “you have breast cancer” and unfortunately one woman a day passes away.
- We know if caught early enough, the most common type of breast cancer is 99 percent survivable.
- Komen San Diego is the County’s largest funder of free breast cancer services and support and is the only organization providing qualified women the free services they need for every step of the breast cancer journey.
- These services include free diagnostic mammograms, life-saving screenings, temporary financial aid for living expenses, meal deliveries, education, research and more.
- In fact, next to the U.S. government, Susan G. Komen® is the largest funder of breast cancer research in the world.